Saturday, May 2, 2009

Day 5: So sunburned!

There were a couple of firsts for me today. I went snorkeling and I got the most sunburned I've ever been. I think this is where I need a woman with some common sense. Something I seem to be lacking in, as I went snorkeling without putting any sunscreen on, at least not until it was too late. My back and legs are so sunburned that I think I'll be sleeping on my stomach tonight. It didn't take very long, the sun is strong here!

Still, it was a day well spent. I dove near the beach and saw lots of fish. I think I saw a baraccuda, which kind of frightened me. I've heard they sometimes attack people. I also found a huge konk shell, but decided it was too big to take with me. Then I read a book on the beach.

Later in the afternoon I got on a boat that was taking people to the nearby reef. It anchored and everyone went snorkeling. Everybody was Mexican and didn't speak a word of English. My Spanish was equally bad. Though we shared in excitement every time we saw large schools of fish. I was wishing I had a waterproof camera case! I did bring the camera with me and I'm so glad I did because the boat got fairly close to the Maya ruins which are perched right on the ocean. It felt pretty cool to be swimming in the same place where this intriguing civilization once thrived. It was back to the hotel after, where I nursed my sunburns.

The downside about where I'm staying right now is that the restaurant closes when the sun goes down. I haven't had a good meal in a couple of days. Maybe I'll find a good restaurant tomorrow at Playa de Carmen. I'll be stopping there to say hi to a friend that I haven't seen since I was a teenager and also to scope out the area. I'm not sure if I'll stay the night there or in Cancun.

The beach I spent my day on:






Tulum ruins:


1 comment: